Sunday, September 20, 2009

God Is So Good

Since I have been here I feel that my health has improved. I do a lot of walking. Sometimes walking up the hill my heart rate gets up around 150 but the recovery rate is good. The exercise strengthens my heart so that most of the time my resting heart rate is in the 60’s. I enjoy the weather here. I think I have worn a long sleeve shirt only 2-3 times and that was early morning when we had a frost over night. While working it does get hot although it really isn’t – it is probably in the 70’s. I remember talking with a friend of mine back at EVI and remember saying that if the Lord was sending me I would be happy here. I have heard that happiness is a mind set. I can choose to be happy in the worst situation; or I can choose to be miserable in the best situation. So in that case, yes I am happy although I do sorely miss my friends and family.

When I pray I pray for patience. In answer to my prayer the Lord brings situations and trials to test my patience. I have been tested and tried everyday and yes I fail some, but mostly at the end of the day I can see times where the Lord had strengthened me at the right time and the victory was mine. I still have a long way to go for trials still come, but I have prayed for the Lord to change me to make me ready for heaven; I feel He is working on me still and praise Him for it. The victories bring happiness to me also.

I believe that the Lord brought me here and I can see myself staying here longer as long as the Lord is keeping me here. If I didn’t have contact with family and friends it probably would be harder. Also knowing I have friends praying for me helps. I know that as long as the Lord is with me there is nothing too hard to stand.

My co-worker, Janet, is actually my boss and she is doing what she does best. She gets things done that needs to get done in her way. She is good at what she does and accomplishes a lot.

have a variety of work that she gives me to do and I enjoy the variety. I like keeping busy and there is plenty of that here. But….

I am beginning to befriend the village kids. In one of my blogs I mentioned something about 5 girls that sat with me while I worked on the computer. Well we decided I would teach them English and they would teach me Swahili. Ever since then, I believe they have told most of the kids in the village. When a group of kids see me, they call out my name and wave. If I am close enough they point at something and ask what it is in English. These aren’t even the girls I originally talked with. This is exciting for this is how Jesus worked. He befriended the people, healed their bodies and souls. When I work with the kids, yes I feel like a missionary. I feel like I am accomplishing something and it is coming naturally, not something that is planned and I have to make appointments and the like. It just happens any time of day. I know the other work I do is important and needs to be done; somebody has to do it and I do enjoy it; but, when I work with the people I really enjoy it, especially when I don’t plan it and it just happens. Please pray that my Swahili will steadily improve. I have started reading a condensed book about the Swahili language and I am praying that it will happen soon.

I hope this puts peoples mind at ease. Love and miss everyone. I could be happier if some of you were here.

Good bye for now from Mago…
Deniece

3 comments:

  1. Hi Deniece,
    You actually sound very lonely!! Have been praying for you and my mom and the project there. Mom will definately keep you busy I'm sure! Keep learning that Swahili and keep up the courage!
    Give my love to my mom! I miss her when she is there but I'm very proud of her.
    Take care.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there

    You don't know me but Janet and |frank introduced me tothe truth almost 40 yrs ago - you have a good wise leader and she will make you stronger and have you discover things in you - you did not know was in you and the Lord will guide you - give Janet my greetings - i enjoy your sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been following your blog. Pleased that you are in good health, that was a concern. You are kept busy with much variety which I'm sure you are enjoying. Read with interest. Africa will always have a special place in my heart although I only lived in S.A. & Zimbabwe.
    You are in our thoughts and prayers. God bless you & all the plans that have been undertaken.

    ReplyDelete