Thursday, November 26, 2009

Matema Beach

Today is Sunday, the 22nd, and we are at the beach on vacation at a Resort in Matema, Tanzania. We woke up to the sound of the waves on the beach and an 8 piece band playing down the beach. The sun was just coming up over the mountains when I stepped out on the porch; the morning promising to be warm and inviting.

Janet and I left Wednesday evening around 7:30 to go to Kibidula. We stopped around 11:00 at the Lutheran Guest house in Makambaka for a few hours shut eye and got up Thursday morning at 4:00 and drove the rest of the way which was about 1 hour 15 minutes away. Jason and his family were up and getting things ready to go. We stayed and had breakfast and then we loaded up and left. It was about 6 hour drive, all on black top accept for about the first 30 minutes and the last hour and a half. We traveled through some very lush and green mountainous area that grew just about anything that you can grow in the area and abundance of it – various types of mangos, bananas, avocados, jack fruit and other things that I wasn’t familiar with. We bought a few things to take with us and kept on our way. The area was so beautiful. Yes, I have taken some pictures for later. Upon arriving around 4:30 Thursday in Matema I was awe struck with the area at the resort. It was like some of the pictures you see of resort areas. We had reserved a beach house that was about 50 yards from the water’s edge; nothing between but sand and a few small trees. They even went swimming Thursday night – I just took in the sight and enjoyed the fresh air and the view. (They even have sit down flush toilets); no hot water, the water piped into the beach house and the faucet outside comes from the lake which appears to be around 92 degrees. I took my swim after my worship and before breakfast Friday morning at around 7:30. Couldn’t believe I was swimming at 7:30 in the morning on November 20. Upon coming back to the beach house after my swim, Janet told me of a “bed partner” I had during the night that was found this morning. In a jar on the table in the beach house was a scorpion found on the blanket at the foot of my bed. Now we don’t know if he was up there all night or climbed up the mosquito netting this morning; but in any case I was thankful for the Lord’s protection sparing me from the sting of the scorpion. The sun is hot and some of us have received a little sunburn, but sunscreen is preventing anymore. Some of the foods we have brought and fixed, some we have brought and are having the kitchen here fix, and some food we are having the kitchen fix altogether. We have plenty of fresh fruit. We are eating mangos, bananas, plums, pineapple, avocados, and oranges. We have had spaghetti, potatoes, raman noodles, peanut butter and honey, bread and did I mention plenty of fresh fruit. We are really enjoying the time to get away and relax. I have been lying around a lot, just relaxing; I did swim quite a bit on Friday and will probably swim some today. We have had little rain everyday but today. Did I say how beautiful it is here?

Monday morning at 7:00 I went swimming and had an enjoyable time until I got water in my left ear. Later in the morning we canoed over to an area where we saw some colorful fish in amongst some rocks. They were beautiful. Janet, Jason and Antonette went snorkeling and saw more. I decided to wade in the shallow and see what I can see. I still had a slight earache and didn’t want to get any more water in my ear; but I enjoyed it just the same. We got back to the beach house and packed up to leave. We got to Kibidula at around 8:30 Monday night and Janet and I left for home the next morning. We stopped and ordered the big doors for one of our buildings and did a little other shopping and continued on our way. We arrived home at about 4:30. We went right down to the school sight to see what has been done while we were gone. The Mechanic/Carpentry building was about done being plastered – looking real good. We ordered the big doors and they should arrive next week. The kitchen/cafeteria building is about completed today (Wednesday) and Janet is trying to finalize on some things that needs to get done before we head home in about 3 weeks. The fundis believe that they can finish the plastering on all buildings before we leave. The timing is going real well so that by time they get done we will be leaving probably within a week. Janet is moving extra material left over into an area that can be locked up while we are gone. She is quite pleased with the work that has been done and that is getting done. She is smiling quite a bit lately. Maybe the vacation did her some good too!

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing most of you. I would say all, but I know I don’t know all and won’t see all, so I am saying most of you.  Can’t believe it is almost time to go. I am putting in small amounts of internet time on the computer so that I don’t have any left over when I leave. So I might do one more blog here and do more upon arriving home.

Goodbye for now from Mago…. AND HAVE A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Deniece

1 comment:

  1. Great report. Praise God you guys managed to get away once in four months. I was beginning to worry.

    ReplyDelete