Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

Thursday, Janet and I worked on the ditch which has our pipe that is going to bring water to our house. We still need one more roll of pipe to bring it to the house, but in the mean time we needed to get the pipe level. We will get air locks in the pipe and the water will not flow properly or not flow at all. Anyway, Janet used the transit and I had the measuring stick. About every 8-12 feet we would measure and I would either put dirt under the pipe or take some out. If you can picture this, (which I did get a picture of us both at the end of the day), but if you can picture – the ditch ranges from about 3’ deep to approximately 5’ deep. The width of the ditch is barely 8-10”. First, we measure; most of the time I have to shovel dirt into the ditch on top of the pipe. Then I stand in the ditch so that I can bend down to lift the 2” pipe up on top of the dirt. Remember that the ditch is barely 10” wide and I am bending sideways into the ditch. Most of the time I am standing on one foot the other is somewhere in the ditch behind me but some of the time I have to have both feet behind me because the ditch is so narrow. From my head to my feet I am in the ditch. I was so filthy at the end of the day that if I worked much longer you would think I was a native of Mago, Tanzania. Janet wasn’t too far behind me. She was in the ditch some, but it just didn’t work for her. We did this most of the day and my back was hurting when we got home. I had a catch in my right hip area that finally went away by Sabbath evening. A day of rest really helped. Janet thanked me for the work and I told her it was a dirty job but, someone had to do it. We both laughed.

Sunday and Monday I spent filling in the ditch under the pipe in between the dirt piles that we had made. This was also a hard and dirty job. It was hot during the midday and so I quit on Sunday until late afternoon and then worked until sundown. Monday morning she sent 3 of her workers out to help me. I was very thankful for the help. Surprisingly, my back bothered me some on Sunday and I was expecting it to hurt on Monday when I went back out to shovel, but it wasn’t too bad. I praised the Lord!

Some of the fundis are framing for the 8” concrete “starter” for our bricks for the school and that doesn’t take all 11 of them; so one of the fundis is building a brick sofa/loveseat in our house. It sounds crazy but it really looks nice. I have pictures and will have them in my presentation for you to see. Another group is working on our septic tank. They are building it with bricks and then putting a plastering on both sides of the brick to seal it. So there is a lot of stuff going on. Oh, also we had 3 of the fundis build our dam out at the springs and it is done. All we are waiting on to get water to the house area is one more roll of pipe which Jason got today from Dar and we should be getting it sometime this week (hopefully).

With all of this going on, this blog was late getting written let alone getting posted. I am writing this Monday night after I went to bed. Hopefully I can post it tomorrow.

Hope all is well where you are… Bye for now from Mago…

Deniece

No comments:

Post a Comment